Committee Meeting Minutes19/07/2010

Wimbledon Ancient Golf Society
Minutes of Meeting of the Committee at the Rose and Crown, Wimbledon Village
Monday July 19th 2010

Present Gerry Robinson (GR) (Chairman), Gerry McGuffie, Chris Bunning (CB), Rhod James (RJ), Richard Latham (RL), John Stembridge (JS)

Apologies for absence Mike Beament (MB), Steve Stoner (SS)

1. Minutes of last meeting
The Minutes of the last meeting on 10th May 2010 were produced and approved. It was noted that these Minutes had not yet been posted on the website. JS will attend to this.

2. Finance
CB reported that there is 5,001 on current account and 6,357 on deposit making a total of 11,358. This is divided as follows:

It was noted that there are only three members' subscriptions outstanding for the 2010 season. These are Pearse Elder (out for the season injured), Kevin Waller and Chris Taylor. All are in credit in their accounts in any event. CB will email Chris Taylor to follow him up.
RJ asked to what extent the extra cash call of 80 for Suffolk Tour had been paid? CB reported that most tourists have paid. To the extent they have not, their accounts have been debited.

3. Fixtures
RL reported on the Cornwall Tour. Numbers currently stand at 27. Those confirmed for the tour are RJ, RL, CB, Mike Wells, Peter Berring, Tom Fawcett, George Dunsire, Eric Warburton, Will Fairbairn, Charles Staveley, Quintin Heaney, GM, Rob Jones, Nigel Caufield, Peter Cook (Eric Warburton guest), William Pound, Mike Gardner, Vip Patel, Chris Charman, Bill Morse, Bob Hill, Richard Trinnick, Anthony Shutes, Fred Berring, GR, JS and Martin Dilke-Wing.
It was recognised that these numbers will increase between now and September. It was agreed that 36 is probably the maximum number that can be done logistically, given the need to complete two rounds of golf on the Saturday.
Start times at Launceston on the Friday and Teign Valley on the Sunday are both 11.00pm. The total tour cost will be 365 to include an allowance for prizes and some drinks.

4. Membership
Vip Patel was proposed for membership by Mike Gardner and seconded by RJ. His application was approved.
He will join the Society on a handicap of 22. GM will advise him accordingly by email.
It was noted that Anthony Shutes has now returned from the Middle East. It was agreed that he should remain an overseas member for the remainder of the year. He can then rejoin as a UK member for the 2011 season.

5. Handicaps
The following handicap cuts were announced:-

6. Website
JS reported that there is a backlog of photographs waiting to be posted onto the site. He explained the logistics of this. GR offered the services of Magnus (Robinson) over the summer holidays to assist JS with this process.
Mike Wells raised the frequent concern that the personal details of certain people is not up to date on the site. RJ explained that there have been frequent reminders about this but at the end of the day there is only so much that one can do. It is realty down to the individuals concerned.

7. Any other business
The idea was raised once again about having links on the site to individual peoples' businesses. JS will do an email to the membership about this and also at the same time give another reminder about supplying correct personal details to the site.
RJ opened a discussion about arrangements for the 2012 tour. He reminded those present that the process of putting in a "bid" for the 15th Anniversary tour started about this time in 2005. Members had been invited to table bids by the time of the 2005 AGM in September.
It was agreed that we did not need to go through the process that early this year. It was agreed in principle that we would target the opening fixture of the 2011 season as the deadline for bids. RJ will draft an appropriate note to circulate to the membership, to be agreed with GR.
Mike Wells raised the question of paying in advance for the tour, with the Society possibly setting up some sort of "Christmas Club" arrangement. RJ and GR will consider this idea further, but at this stage it was felt that this would probably not work.
If any member wants to top up his funds held by WAGS, for general use, he is always welcome to do so. Indeed several members already pay in lump sums as opposed to paying for events specifically. If anyone therefore wants to top up their account, with half an eye in due course on using that as a "war chest" for eventual payment towards the cost of the 2012 tour, they are more than welcome to do this. Subject to the guidelines to be issued by RJ and GR however, this will not entitle anyone to preferential treatment when it comes to securing a place on 2012 tour.

RDFJ
21.7.2010