Committee Meeting Minutes 28/01/2008
Wimbledon Ancient Golf Society
Minutes of Meeting of the Committee at the Rose & Crown, Wimbledon
Monday January 28th 2008
Present Gerry Robinson (GR) (Chairman), Rhod James (RJ), Chris Bunning (CB), John Stembridge (JS), Richard Latham (RL), Gerry McGuffie (GM)
Apologies Steve Stoner (SS), Mike Beament (MB)
1. Minutes of Last Meeting
The minutes of the 5.11.2007 meeting were produced and approved
Prior to the meeting RJ and GM had co-ordinated their records. These were produced to the meeting, showing 37 definite members at the end of the 2007 season. CB confirmed this matches his records.
The resignation of Mike Foxton was noted. The resignation of Alan Williams is assumed (but RJ to check). Anthony Shutes becomes an overseas member. The 37 figure is after taking these changes into account.
4 new members were tabled for consideration.
All 4 applications were approved. They will join as new members in 2008. The membership therefore now stands at 41.
- Chris Taylor (proposed by CB, seconded RJ), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Lee (proposed RJ, seconded RL), email@example.com
- Gavin Flaxman (proposed CB, seconded GR), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Luscombe (proposed RL, seconded GM), email@example.com
Various other expressions of interest were noted
GM advised about the procedure for those now voted in
- Simon Marat (introduced by Simon Johnson) - GM is in contact directly
- Chris Stokes (introduced by Mike Dearden) - GM to contact Mike D to expedite
- Mike Gardner (introduced by Mark Adams) - GM has forwarded application papers
- James Hanham and Ian Chappell (both introduced by RJ). Both need to play with 2 WAGS members before applying. RJ and Mike Wells to arrange
JS to note e-mail addresses for mailing list.
- GM sends "welcome pack" which also deals with website access
- JS adds to mailing list
- CB contacts them over subscriptions
CB advised that the annual sub for 2008 will be £85. In addition the usual £10 deposit per non tour fixture will be payable, so £90 (there being 9 "home" fixtures), making a total of £175 per member. As ever, any credit (or deficit!) from 2007 will be brought forward with members being required to make up the balance. We currently have funds of £4,494 in the bank (£797 on deposit, £3,697 in current account).
The £4,494 consists of:
- £1,594 members' balances
- £37 Hole in One fund
- £2,863 Society balance (of which £1,000 is allocated to the next major overseas tour)
4. 2008 Fixtures
RL reported about these. The 2008 fixtures will be as follows:-
The Spring Tour to Le Touquet is NOT yet arranged (and no progress could be made over this in the absence of SS). The Committee noted however the differing views that were being expressed (both inside and outside the meeting) about the date of this tour.
- Weds March 26th - West Byfleet (The Trinnick Trinket)
- Fri 18th April - Mill Ride (The Dearden Decanter)
- Thurs 22nd May - Chartham Park (The Stembridge Sandwedge)
- Sat 21st June - Seaford Head (The Shaw Shield)
- Mon 21st July - Betchworth Park (The Wells Trophy)
- Thurs 21st August - Richmond (The WAGS Waistcoat)
- Fri 12th-14th Sept - West Country Tour (Lyme Regis, St Mellion and Woodbury Park (Dilke-Wing Dodgy Dish and Latham Salver)
- Tuesday 30th Sept - Wimbledon Park + AGM (The Berring Bowl)
- Sat 18th Oct - Lamerwood (The People's Trophy)
- Sat 15th Nov - Pine Ridge (The James Jug)
Having considered the timing of other fixtures and bank holidays, it was agreed that the only realistic weekends to do this tour were 9th to11th May, or 6th to 8th June 2008. Put to the vote, the Committee preferred to fix this tour for 9th to 11th May 2008.
SS was therefore asked to report back urgently about the status of the tour and fix it or this weekend (unless other arrangements were already in place). RL to follow this up with SS.
RL to also liaise with SS over production of the 2008 fixture list. SS to circulate draft to Committee Members as a matter of urgency.
6. Website and Communications
JS indicated there was nothing to report.
7. WAGS 2008 Social event
The event arranged for Friday 1st February was cancelled due to lack of interest. RL to notify those who have said they are coming.
It was agreed instead that there will be an informal get together on Friday 14th March starting at 7.30pm at the Rose and Crown Wimbledon Village, the idea being that members and guests can come with or without wives/partners/children for drinks followed by probably other pubs then a curry. This will be advertised nearer the time.
There was a debate about what the 2008 item should be. SS is asked to consider WAGS head covers, Golf Balls and/or Umbrellas. It was felt that we have enough polo shirts at present.
9. Other Business
RJ advised that the EGU was terminating its approved Society scheme as from 31st December 2007. RJ advised however that we should continue to refer to our historic accreditation on the Website. RJ will revisit the wording on the Site.