Committee Meeting Minutes 11/05/2006

Wimbledon Ancient Golf Society
Minutes of Meeting of the Committee at the Rose & Crown, Wimbledon
Thursday May 11th 2006

Present Gerry Robinson (GR) (Chairman), Rhod James (RJ) Richard Latham (RL), Chris Bunning (CB), Gerry McGuffie (GM), Steve Stoner (SS), John Stembridge (JS)

Apologies Mike Beament (MB)

1. Minutes of last Meeting
The Minutes of the meeting on 9th March 2006 were produced and approved. There were no specific points arising from the Minutes.

2. Review of membership/subscriptions for 2006 Season
A further review was undertaken of members who have not yet paid their 2006 subscriptions.
We have not heard from Jim Best. However he is £90 in credit. This will be carried forward into 2006 and his membership will be treated as continuing. RJ will chase the balance.
CB will chase up Andy Burn. RL will chase up Steve Ramsey.
Martin Earley owes the Society £105. RL was specifically asked to sort this out. CB is in the process of sorting out the balance owed by Neil Gordon.
Jeremy Whittle has not paid. GR will sort this out.
The Committee noted that no one has heard from Henry Koszarek. At the previous Committee Meeting on 9th March, the Committee had debated, and rejected, a request from Henry that he be entitled to enrol as an overseas member. Following the meeting, Henry had been told he should re-enrol as a full member. The Committee therefore assumed that as we have not heard from Henry, he no longer wishes to continue as a member of the Society.
Taking all of the above into account, and excluding Henry, and assuming everyone pays what is due, the membership with the Society stands at 39. JS was asked to note on the WAGS site that Nick Petrou, Richard Young and Henry are no longer members. The figure of 39 includes Martin Earley and Graham Hansen.
Concern was expressed, again, at membership numbers. GR remarked that 39 was the lowest number for (adult) UK membership for some while. GR urged the Committee, and all Society members, to consider introducing new members. RJ reported that he had spoken to Mike Wells about Gavin Flaxman, and that Carl Boorer was considering joining.

3. Finance
CB reported that we currently hold £4,672 of cash. £62 is in current account and £4,610 is on deposit. Of the £4,672, £2,350 represents members' balances and £2,322 Society money.
CB remarked that these balances are relatively low. This is because the Society has had to fund much of the Irish tour in advance.

4. Merchandise
SS reported that he has despatched new polo shirts to everyone he believed to be a current member. Some further shirts are to be sent out following the discussion earlier in this meeting about who is a member.
SS said that new caps are to be sent to new members of the 100 Club (MB, RL and Fred Berring). Two members have now qualified for a 50 cap, Tony Bennett and Martin Dilke-Wing.

5. Irish Tour
SS produced a draft itinerary for the tour which will take place on Friday 9th to Sunday 11th June. There will be a party of 16 consisting of MB, Fred Berring, Peter Berring, Carl Boorer, CB, Chris Charman, Pearse Elder, Bob Hill, RJ, Simon Johnson, RL, Anthony Shutes, Charles Staveley, SS, Eric Warburton and Mike Wells.
SS explained that given the logistics of things (flight check-ins, travel distances etc), there would need to be some refinement to the tour schedule. He is currently working on this. A final itinerary will be circulated to all tourists by email in advance of the tour.
It was agreed that all three tour rounds will qualify for the VL. Once again the Tourist Trophy will be up for grabs. SS will decide how the winner is to be decided, and will retrieve the trophy from Mike Longmore to bring on tour.

6. Website
JS will add the new Junior Members to the site. They are:-
Sam Dearden
Alex Berring
Michael Berring
Tom Stembridge
David Stembridge
Dominic Bunning
Edward Latham
(RJ note - would JS note that there was one further Junior Member, not the son of a committee member, who was mentioned at the meeting, who is not on this list).
JS also needs to revise the handicaps on the WAGS site. MB is to review the handicaps stated on the site to ensure that they are up to date and accurate.

7. Handicaps
The Committee noted the performances of Graham Hansen since he rejoined the Society. This will be kept under review. In any event Graham will be subject to the mandatory review that applies to any joining member after he has paid three rounds.

8. Etiquette
JS raised a number of points.
·Use of mobile phones and blackberries on the golf course. The members need to be reminded that this is a day out playing golf not a business occasion. Use of mobiles and blackberries are of course permitted before and after rounds but not during them.
·No "gimmees". Under Stableford rules, you are required to putt out.
·Everyone is required to pick up when it is no longer possible to score on a hole. There have been incidents recently of people playing out holes no matter how high their score.
·The prize giving is an important part of the day. It is therefore rude to leave before the presentation takes place. The final point led into a debate about start times. The point was made that people sometimes have evening commitments. Could we therefore start events earlier, so people who have to leave can get away earlier? It was particularly noted that tomorrow's start times at Chartham Park are late.
Concern was also expressed about slow play, following some particularly poor examples of this at Mill Ride.
RL will make enquiries to see if we can generally organise earlier start times. In the meantime GR will do an email to the membership reminding everyone about the need to observe all of the above points.